ART EXHIBITION: • Sept. 13th-18th • Mon-Sat 10am-6pm

MEET the ARTISTs" RECEPTION: • Friday September 17, 6:30-9pm

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Art Buzz Austin Artist- MARK WESTPHAL

Being this planet's eldest certifiable bohemian living a lavish life of distressed gentility, i recently came out of the vapory clouds just long enough to realize that if i wanted original art on my empty walls that i would have to make the art myself. (I had a similar realization regarding "cooking" years earlier.) Knowing that i have a flair for the mindnumbingly tedious coupled with a mothlike penchant for absolutely anything shiny, sequins seemed the logical medium for my expression.
As for my artistic inspirations, i could literally go on and on about post-Justinian Byzantine mosaics, the deathless glories of Ravenna, and my admiration for the godlike, ever experimental Leonardo da Vinci, but, really, what artist in their right mind wants to invite such comparisons to their own humble exertions? the very idea...so let's just say MY inspiration comes from the costume jewelry of Elsa Schiaparelli. The dancing of Fred Astaire. And my monthly blood sacrifice to my beloved landlady who kindly forgives my blaring Beethoven, the only thing to listen to while fantasizing you are making "great art" out of a board, some glue, and a bunch of sequins.
Deep down inside, I know that my art is comparable to the colored rock or pinto bean matadors and ballerinas of the early sixties, crafted out of a box by loving hands at home, but then again, isn't marble sculpture just hitting some rock with a hammer? it isn't what it is that is important, it's what it IS that is important. Deep Meanings? Revealed Truths? Hell, I dunno...My art changes with Light, constantly moving while standing perfectly still: that is more than enough for me.- MARK WESTPHAL

1 comment:

  1. Do you have anything you've done while listen to polka music?

    ReplyDelete